Sunday, September 11, 2011

Don't Need No Hater-ation

A buddy of mine once told me that a jarring percentage of what emerges from my mouth is outdated hip hop slang.
I responded with "Gurrrl! You trippin!"

The only person that finds my Salt-n-Pepa speak delightful is probably the one typing this blog post. As the inimitable Mary J Blige once said: "Don't need to hateration, holleration, in this dancery!".

I find that to be true. Don't be all buggin' 'cause shawty mad for the beat!

On that note, there's no need to punch me, as I'll shortly be bashing my head into a table.

What may seem to be adorable when sprinkled through my everyday speech is absolutely cringe-inducing when given in larger doses. Much like a spice! No one wants to eat tablespoons of chili powder. No one wants to hear a white girl from the suburbs talking extensively about her "boo".

I used to tell people that I had every right to spit it because I spent 5 years living in New Orleans. I was practically the spawn of Lil Wayne & Mystikal! Now I see just how obnoxious that is. The "I was peripheral to a culture! Therefore I have every right to adopt it!" defense.

The closest I've ever come to being slizzered on slizzurp was when I accidentally took a larger than intended dose of doctor prescribed codeine cough syrup. I've never gotten so drunk that I was "crunk" and if my husband ever called me his "shawty" I would probably check him for head trauma.

I'll continue to listen to the music (legally purchased & transferred to my portable listening device). I'll continue to admire the creation of new words (after I look up their definition on urban dictionary). I'll also continue to weave those new additions to my vocabulary after an appropriate amount of time has passed (usually 2-5 years after the term was appropriated by people who have no business using it).

No comments:

Post a Comment